Saturday, June 21, 2008

Captain Heidcase

You'll never guess what I was doing on Saturday. Actually, if you guessed "pretending to be a knight" you'd be right and given the recent history of this blog that's probably what you guessed. But it wasn't the usual fighting Daddy with a toy wooden sword at an old ruined castle somewhere! This time it was beating up some grown-up baddies in real suits of armour with a toy foam sword. And I captained a large army of under-sixes. King Robert the Bruce made me captain and asked my name. I guess he misheard me because I spoke very loudly and clearly into the microphone but he still christened me Captain Heidcase.



We had gone to the Bruce Festival at Dunfermline Glen. I've been bothering Daddy about seeing real Knights for a few days now especially since he told me about a friend of his who dresses up in real armour and gets involved in real fights with real swords. Daddy didn't know about the Bruce Festival so when Gran told him about it he had to take me.

The first thing we saw was the jousting. It was Scotland versus England and in the morning the English Knight won by one point. That was a shame as the Scotland guy is so far unbeaten on Scottish soil. These were proper jousters, it wasn't a show and this did matter. You can find out a little more about these guys, their history and experience here. Toby Capwell is the Scottish guy and William West is the English guy. Hopefully Toby did better in the afternoon and retained his record - we had to leave as the heavy rain came on.

On the way home we stopped in at Auntie Vikki's for a cup of milk and some cheese and I watched Over the Hedge while the old people had a chat. Uncle Ian's telly's really cool because to get the DVD to pause and play again you just clap your hands twice. I spent a while doing that as well. I think Daddy should get a telly like that.

No comments: