Saturday, May 10, 2008

The West Sands

After the castle in St. Andrews we went to the West Sands beach there. Mummy and Daddy were a bit worried about how I would react going there as the last time we went a nasty wave took me by surprise. It's a story worth telling so I'll tell it now...

We arrived in St. Andrews specifically to spend a bit of time on the beach. It was November so it was pretty cold but it was a nice enough day with quite a wind so we would have thrown the kite up for a bit too. Anyway, soon as we arrived we headed for the water. I had wellies on so Daddy encouraged me to get into the surf a bit. But then the evil wave came. It wasn't even a particularly big wave, it was just long. It kept coming so I had to back away from it and the more I backed away, the more it came. Eventually I fell over and it still kept coming. I turned over and struggled to get out of the water on all fours. Mummy and Daddy were being pushed away from me by the continuing wave and I was getting pretty frightened. Eventually, after what felt like about 10 minutes, Daddy waded in to get me out. No one could believe how that wave had just kept coming. Mummy and Daddy, unsurprisingly had nothing with them to dry me off or change me into so we just had to get back in the car, dry off with the picnic rug that lives in the car and head home again.

But that terrible experience didn't bother me this time. It was a lovely day and we all got our socks and shoes off pretty quickly and headed for the water. The water was freezing and Daddy stayed out taking photos of Mummy and me while we paddled and threw shells in the water. It's a really good beach - miles of great sand and very clean, loads of parking and right next to a great little town. It might be my favourite beach and I know it's very special to Mummy and Daddy. I was enjoying myself so much I had to be literally dragged off the sand. It was a really great day and I slept all the way home - it had been a long day and I'd walked loads. Mummy and Daddy said they were very proud.

No comments: