Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Night without Mum and Dad

This week, our class at school spent a night away at the Low Port Centre in Linlithgow. It's a real event and the school do it as part of our maturing from the infants section (P1 to P3) to the seniors. I've been excited about it for ages and Mum's been worried about it almost as long!

We packed one of Dad's old gym bags (I say 'old' but it looked like it had never been used to me. He must have really looked after it while attending the gym for all that time he paid his membership). Once packed it was really stuffed and heavy. Mum said I should get a suitcase with wheels but Dad insisted his son wasn't going away for 1 night with one of those. Mum had to carry it to school for me because it was so heavy and then she complained about her sore shoulder all day afterwards.

We went to school as normal and left on the bus at lunch time. Mum had a physio appointment (about her shoulder!) so wasn't going to be able to see me off but Dad snuck out of work for a long lunch to come see. As usual, I was last to leave the school. All of my classmates left to get on the bus before me. All of them, every single one of them, pulling a suitcase on wheels. And then I stomped out with this really heavy bad on my back!

I was with my friend, George, who I'd be sharing a room with. He had a trunki with wheels but was insisting on carrying it. George is noticeably bigger than me and he was moaning about the weight so I had a go. I still had my bag over one shoulder and took a grip of his in my free hand, only to report "I don't know what you're complaining about, you should feel mine!"

Mum arrived just in time to see the bus pull away and that was it until after school the next day. I had an amazing time, it was gorgeous weather, punctuated by a bit of thunder and lightening. We went out in a boat on Linlithgow Loch; did some stuff with the rangers; played games on the peel; had a Low Port's Got Talent contest (I didn't win) and went to Beecraigs park.

I'm already looking forward to P7 when we get to go away for a week. And Mum's already worried about it!

No comments: