Saturday, January 31, 2009

Aberdour Castle

We went to Aberdour castle this afternoon. It had been a bit of lazy day and Daddy is nursing a cold (again) but Mummy was nagging him so much he decided to take us to a castle. We headed for Aberdour and arrived mid-afternoon thinking we'd kill about half an hour and then head home again but we were there for ages! It was loads of fun and is a really surprisingly nice castle.

The nice gentleman in the shop suggested we go around the garden and out to St Fillan's church nearby. It was really interesting and I really enjoyed making Mummy and Daddy read some of the headstones which were extremely old (I would have had them read all the headstones but they refused). We went into the church which was really nice but Daddy made me leave the swords outside and take my hat off so I quickly got bored while Mummy read about all the history.

After seeing the church and graveyard we headed back to the castle. First we checked out the garden which is terraced and allowed me to take a different from Mummy to get to the Dovecot (I won!). Then we explored the castle. Some of it is still covered but most of it is ruined. It was all really nice and Daddy and me had a fight in several of the rooms before we finally headed home two hours after arriving. So much for a half-hour visit! I'd quite like to go back there sometime.


No comments: